Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I Hope It's a Comeback!

Last week I returned to teaching math. We learned about triangles and we made these really cool triangle pages at the end of the lesson. Basically the students had to use toothpicks or straws (depending on the class) to create the three different types of triangles and glue them onto a green piece of paper. The students then had to identify on their papers the names of the different types of triangles. It was a pretty simple project and the students were very successful with it. The teachers seemed to really like the hands on crafting of the triangles and two of the teachers said they wanted their students’ triangles returned to them. This was strange to me because usually the teachers tell me to keep the assignments I collect from the students or give them directly back to the students, because I think they are really not interested in seeing the students’ work.
This week I taught two more science lessons: one of batteries and one of light bulbs. After the drama that has occurred over the past couple weeks I have really been feeling down and unsuccessful as a teacher, student, and a person as well. I was determined to make last week with the math lessons and this week with the science lessons fantastic. I put forth 150% energy and I tried to show that I care about the students (since that was the criticism I received from Ms. Lee; she said I didn’t show that I care about the students). I worked really hard on my lessons and I created PowerPoints, hands on projects, a quiz, and even a little story to aid me in my lessons and just make them better. I don’t know if the teachers liked my lessons or not; honestly they acted the same way they did before which is not showing much emotion or excitement either way. I am going to do my best to continue to put forth this kind of effort so that I can show both you and everyone in Korea and everyone at UMSL that I am a good teacher and I am not slacking in any way.
Aside from being at the school, I haven’t been doing anything the past two weeks. I’ve been taking some time to think about why any accusations were brought against me and how I could have left this kind of impression with people and of course I’m still puzzled, but I hope that my behavior now can truly reflect the kind of student/teacher I know I am. I only have about 4 weeks left of teaching and I want you to know that I have been trying all semester and I will continue to try even harder for the remaining 4 weeks. Well, I have some grading to do as well as portfolio stuff so I have got to go!!

No comments: